Friday, June 23, 2006

Comics and stuffs

FInally made it through the majority of Wed's pull. Been busy, but here's a few thoughts of selected issues.

52 - Seven weeks and still on schedule, and probably the best issue so far. Ralph is hardcore, and I like that. He seems to be taking the place of the serious "Batman" type character. Since I like Batman, I think that's why I'm liking Ralph. He's intense, he's smart, and he has a vengeful streak going. Booster's fun, but this was going to happen eventually. I don't think he deserved the thrashing he recieved from Ralph concerning Sue, but it will probably make Booster rethink his position a little.

Now the name 'Kate Kane' makes sense, instead of 'Kathy Kane.' As much as I like her in this little introduction, I can't help that her lesbianism maybe nothing more than an excuse to connect her to Renee. I don't mind this too much, becuase it would be a bit offensive to read her flaunting the fact for no reason (and living up to the sensationalism the media spun up). From this issue at least the character gets my approval, and I welcome her into the DCU. Maybe this will change when she takes up the mantle of the bat, but she's off to a good start.

Also, two things to mention quickly. Needs more Question. I like the fact that he has started this whole web of interconnection from the warehouse to Kate for Renee to uncover (and us). Second, is that Galactus chucking a spear at the Lost in Space party? Holy crap that was sudden, and confusing.

Shadowpact #2 - After my initial opinion of the first issue, the second issue has flipped my opinion. The group seems to be closer to their DoV time, though they are not quite there. The villains are a lot of fun as they interact with the Shadowpact, and I like them as they notice how similar the two groups are. I'm mostly enjoying the title now.

Flash #1 - I don't know a lot of the background of Flash, but I'm interested in the title as of this issue. It didn't feel as good as Wonder Woman #1, but I think that was because I don't know as much that is going on right now.

Conan #29 - Very fun issue. I'd think this may be a good jump in point for people who haven't read the series before. It's a new story arch with a few loose ends that look wrapped up, but Conan is very much in character. You can really see Mignola's influence, and it is lovely. In fact, most issues up to this point have felt thick like a real short story, but this issue felt like a quick read.

JSA Classified #13 - Good little battle of wills. Great conclusion. Savage is really the Hannibal Lector of the DCU it seems.

Labels: , , , , , ,

2 Comments:

At 6:29 PM, Blogger CalvinPitt said...

I had the same question as you concerning the identity of the owner of that spear. He looks kind of like something Kirby might have come up with. He really reminds me of a robot I remember the Fantastic Four fought, that had been left on Earth by the Kree to monitor the planet.

I have no clue what he'd be doing in DC, but you know what they say when you see something at DC that doesn't make sense - Superboy-Prime punched something.

 
At 8:24 PM, Blogger Centurion said...

Superboy Prime punched that wall a lot, it seems. Look what he did to Cassandra Cain, to Azrael, and he made Alan Scott lose his eyes!

Ok, well, I like what they did to Scott, but the other two, no.

(ie. Azrael is still MIA)
(ps. I don't really know about the rest of the DCU)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home