Friday, June 09, 2006

Wonder Woman #1 - thoughts

I've had a little bit of internet trouble, so maybe I have rode out the fear of spoilers. If not here's your warning: Spoilers Ahead.

---

First of all, within the first few pages I'll admit I was a bit worried. Donna Troy has been a very bland character in what I have read, but I admit my exposure has only really been the bits since her 'Return' prior Infinite Crisis. She simply had no presence in my mind and could have just as easily not been in the story without any serious impact. Now she has taken over as Wonder Woman for now, and I like her.

I really like the armor she's wearing, and the look fits. It reminds me of Xena stylistically, and to me that's a good thing. I hope Diana keeps the armor when she is given the title back. The new look is part of the new Wonder Woman - it's a new chapter in her story. Kind of like Robin's new suit in the new chapter of Batman.

My only problem with the new look? Donna suffers from one of these three things: 1)Static built from friction with the air as she flies, 2) Low density causing her to exist in the air as a normal person would in a liquid, or, 3) Magical shampoo giving her extreme volume. Personally the way her hair flows about her head just seems silly. It is petty to whine about it, but take that as a good thing.

As far as the writing? No problems in my mind. In fact, the little flashback and narrative parts gave background a new reader like me need to feel like I was still in the story. I've read a little Wonder Woman before, but I'm still a little lost when it comes to details of that chunk of the DCU. (For example, to show my ignorance, I have no idea what this purple healing beam that I keep hearing about is)

Dr. Psycho went psycho with a razor. I miss his crazy hair, partly becuase my hair tends to act similarly to his when it isn't kept back (though mine is longer now). I like that Cheetah is human again, it gives an unsettling element to the character.

In my mind, when Diana comes on scene finally, it shows that she is still on her path to discover who she really is. This current arch will help her watch Donna as Wonder Woman, and help her reflect on what her role was. I think this would have been better during the OYL void, but we wouldn't have been able to watch first hand. At the end of this arch I'm quite sure Diana will regain her old role as Wonder Woman.

Anyway, those are a few thoughts I had. If I were to grade the issue, I'd easily give it a solid 10/10.

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

At 6:06 PM, Blogger Ragnell said...

My guess on Donna is #3 -- Magic Shampoo

 
At 3:16 AM, Blogger Diamondrock said...

I was also very unnerved by the appearance of Donna. But she was properly schooled by Doctor Psycho, so it's okay.

 
At 6:44 PM, Blogger frank said...

that armor is cool, it should have been on the cover instead of the classic outfit. I a;lso like the background, I am a new reader and that stuff helped me out.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home