Sunday, May 21, 2006

All Star Batman & Robin is Awesome!

I'm going to get a lot of flak for this, but I think All Star Batman & Robin is awesome. I can't wait to see how the series wraps up. There is so much that could happen, and I can't wait to read it. Frank Miller is awesome.

Ok, this is where I take a breath at just the right moment and deliver an ill concieved punchline.

By awesome, I mean awesome like a car wreck. As bad as it may be, you can't help but watch as medics arrive and pull the bodies from the mangled wreckage. Issue two was a train colliding with the car wreck. Three was a plane making an emergency landing on top of the train. As for issue 4, I'll say Bizarro tossed a cruise ship on the whole mess becuase nobody wants to go on a cruise when they are sad.

The only redeming point in the issue, or the whole series so far, has been the six page fold out of the batcave. Still, even that was tainted by lots of Frank Miller homages. He is basically tagging with his hand that which he did not create - I seem to remember that being called vandalism. Problem is, DC gave him permission for this monstosity.

Still, I suppose I can be content in the knowledge that Frank Miller got Batman. Imagine what he would have created given access to Superman or Wonder Woman. Wait, he did have Superman running (running! Frank, the man can fly) and I think Wonder Woman is on the cover of an upcoming issue. Crap. This will never end...

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

2 Comments:

At 3:19 PM, Blogger CalvinPitt said...

Yeah, I don't know quite what to make of this book, so I've stopped trying. I just glance through it, shake my head, maybe smile if something happens I like (Alfred laying down the law on Batman at the end of #4).

 
At 6:56 PM, Blogger Centurion said...

Alfred really is the only constantly good thing about the series, mainly becuase he is the only "normal" character.

I read the comic becuase it is so funny, in the bad way, but still funny. I've never seen Bruce smile so often inbetween a cover in any comic. I think that is what is scary about the series.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home