Thursday, May 18, 2006

Comics!

Yeah, it's been a while since I actually typed about comics that came out shortly after they actually came out. I have excuses and no need to make them online. Here's what I thought about yesterday's pull.

52 is still going strong.

Robin 150
Hmmm...well this is crazy. Cassandra has gone off the deep end - or so they want us to think. Thanks Kal for calming my nerves before I read it. Yes, she spoiled it before I read it, but I'm a bit glad. I think I would have seriously lost a nerve if Cass really is crazy.

Green Arrow 62
Spoiler: Ollie beats the crap out of Deathstroke tactically, and calls in the national guard to arrest him. Very very fun to read.

Man-Bat 2
Issue 1 had my curiosity with the wiping of the history the character had. Now with issue 2 I have to say I'm a bit disappointed. The plot didn't advance at all, and the little it did became more twisted. My biggest disappointment? Black Mask is alive, having admitted to surviving Catwoman's point-blank shooting. They don't explain it, but he is alive and has no real point in the series aside from exposition.

Conan 28
Retelling an alternate view to a previous adventure, as a nice homage to Robert E Howard. The art didn't seem quite up to par with the rest of the series to this point, but it was a nice read.

Now, for the lengthy look at Shadowpact #1.

First of all, Day of Vengence was probably the most enjoyable of the preCrisis miniseries. I'm a fan of disfunctional groups who try to act heroic, when pulled off well. The group that gathered in DoV was great, and I wholely enjoyed their antics. Out of the miniseries I have to say I liked Blue Devil and Nightshade. Blue Devil seems to be a lot like Hellboy in action, and Nightshade is just really interesting to me. The showstealer, however, was Detective Chimp. When I read that the group was getting its own ongoing series I was happy - more disfunctional magical adventure!

Reading the first issue I have to admit it didn't have the bite I thought it would have. It opens one year ago for the setup with Superman, who apparently isn't bothered at all by Infinite Crisis which should be going on (becuase, well, after IC there is no Superman and the Shadowpact formed on the brink of IC). The pact themselves seem kinda bland, almost very accepting of each other. Teamwork is one thing, but where is the spice that made them so fun before?

Another thing - the villains are basically the anti-Shadowpact. Same powers, different colors and clothes, and they are evil. Hopefully there will be some good witty banter in the next issue then the groups finally fully enounter each other. I still have hope for the series, but it isn't off to a great start.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

1 Comments:

At 3:29 AM, Blogger Diamondrock said...

I had a solid week to simmer (knowing what was coming in Robin 150) before I actually read it. If I hadn't, I think I might have destroyed all the world.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home