Saturday, April 29, 2006

Hulk 2 news and worry

I read a short while ago that Hulk 2 is progressing towards production, despite what everyone is warning. Apparently the villian this time will be Abomination. The article describes him as some kind of 900 pound spy that has the strngth to match up with Hulk. This is where I scratch my head in wonder.

The acticle also claims that the first movie lacked a primal element, which this movie will make up for. I read that as "first movie was boring, this one is going to be all action. Nonstop Abomination vs Hulk action!"

Personally, I don't want to see this sequel as it seems to be building up to. I was one of those few that saw Hulk in theatre and absolutely loved it. I even saw it in theatre multiple times.

Ok, so Hulk is a Marvel property and I've never read an issue - I'll admit that. Maybe I'm missing this primal element mentioned, and maybe that is what fans of Hulk were up in arms over with the first movie. I liked the bursts of action with a lot of story and character development. The action was intense, but it served a purpose. Mindless action is just that - mindless.

To me, I like the Hulk as a character due to the split nature of Banner and Hulk. It is the same reason I like Jekyll and Hyde, and the two stories I see as very much the same. Except, of course, that Hulk isn't a psychopathic incarnation of evil, instead he is being of pure emotion that is made into a villain out of misunderstanding.

My point is, I suppose, is that I fear Hulk 2 will lack the heart of the first and will cause the franchise to go the way of say, Batman when Schumacher took over.

Labels: , , ,

5 Comments:

At 2:09 PM, Blogger CalvinPitt said...

The Hulk movie had it's moments for me. Banner being unable to properly express his emotions for Betty, and General Ross letting his concern for his daughter guide his responses to the Hulk. And the battle across the desert with the military? That was classic Hulk goodness there.

As for all the Nick Nolte/daddy issues and the dreams and the giant dogs? Uh, I wasn't feeling that so much.

I'm surprised they're going to make another. I fugred the first one was a relative bust, and they'd move on.

 
At 2:24 PM, Blogger Centurion said...

I didn't mind the daddy issues, I guess becuase that was my primary exposure the the character, and it worked anger/plot-wise.

The dogs I can see as a point of frustration. It made for a good fight, but honestly it felt like padding for an excuse for another battle. Didn't do much to move the story.

Marvel just keeps steamrolling their titles to movies, not giving a care to the quality. Daredevil, Electra, Punisher being failures. Fantastic Four suffered from problems. X-Men and Spiderman have had a decent run, but there are worries about their third installments...

DC on the other hand is being fairly careful, and I'm happy.

 
At 7:10 PM, Blogger CalvinPitt said...

I got to admit, I really liked The Punisher. I thought the biggest mistake was bringing it out the same time as Kill Bill Vol. 2 (I think it was 2).

But you're right, supposedly it did a little better than break even in the theaters, though the budget was only $40 million, so it wasn't a huge investment. I don't know if that means they should be making a sequel, but if they can build on the first one, it could be pretty good.

I'd say the first movies in Marvel series get bogged down because they have to cover the origin for people. Then the second movie can get right to the good stuff. Spider-Man 1 & 2 was a pretty good example of that I thought.

 
At 1:23 AM, Blogger Diamondrock said...

See, I enjoyed it too. Maybe if I were a big fan of the comics it would be different. But I'll admit that I've never been the type of person who asks a lot from their movies...

 
At 4:48 AM, Blogger Centurion said...

I actually haven't seen Punisher, I was mainly going by box office performance. I've been meaning to see it, but it honestly isn't a high priority...

I do agree that first movies get bogged down in the origin story, but it shouldn't draw away from a good story - in my opinion.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home