Thursday, July 13, 2006

Comics! cont.

Superman #654 - The dynamic of Clark and Lois was central in the issue, and I don't remember it being so well handled. Superman was sidelined, and it worked. Electrified Popcorn, science police, and giant villain that talks too much. I'm really curious about Lana taking over Lexcorp. Though it was well written, the issue felt really long. 7/10

Batman: Legends of the Dark Knight #208 - Part two is on equal grounds as part one. It's not exceptional, but it isn't terrible. The art is realistic enough to hold your interest generally, though sometimes it doesn't quite work. Specifically, I don't like how the Penguin looks. I'm a fan of the 'human' Penguin, not the creepy looking one. I also don't like his entry into the strip club business - It's just not him. However, I do like the story being told. It feels slightly reused, but so far it works. It has a very dark feel. I would go so far as to call it a gothic tale, and that is only helped by many stylistic choices with the art. I will admit that this story is a bit rough to get through. 6/10

Thunderbolts #104 - This is only the second issue I've read of the series, since I'm only reading it for the Civil War tie-in. I still have no idea what is really happening, but I do understand that this Zemo guy is gaining control over the supervillains to form a 3rd party in this whole Civil War mess. There is the possibility that Zemo holds the key to the tide of the war, depending which side he fights alongside more. Also, I'm not fond of a vast majority of Marvel villains. 6/10

Civil War: Frontline #3 - Opps, there goes another neighborhood. That can't be good for the side against the registration. Also, the Baxter Building has potentially the longest escalator, making me wonder if an elivator would have been quicker. Even if it was quicker, Reed wouldn't have had the extra time to keep talking. Multiple storylines make it a little jumpy, but they are seperated into chapters. She-Hulk has another case that isn't cooperating, who is also in total denial of any wrong doing. Still wondering why they haven't nailed him with trespassing. I mean come on, they were. 6.5/10

whew.

Labels: , , , ,

2 Comments:

At 9:43 PM, Blogger frank said...

Reed always finds a way to say everything he wants to say...
*elevator

 
At 6:41 AM, Blogger CalvinPitt said...

I know he screwed up, but I'm really happy that Speedball won't admit he's the guilty party. I think the thing that frustrates me most about Civil War is all the heroes seem to spend more time blaming the New warriors for what happened, instead of Nitor, the guy that actually killed everyone.

I mean, the only person who seems to remember that little fact is Wolverine, and what does it say about your world when Wolverine is the voice of reason?

Regarding Marvel villains: Yeah it's been a frequent topic of discussion at the comic store that Marvel needs someone to come along and do for their villains what Johns and DC have done for their lower-tier guys. There's a few big rollers, and then a lot of pathetic schlubs.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home