Monday, July 03, 2006

More Con stuff

Ok, a heres a bit more now that I have rested a bit. I actually took a nap today when fatigue hit me hard this afternoon so now I have a headache, but decent otherwise. Probably won't really get back on track till the end of this week.

First of all, I forgot to mention my portfolio during my first post-con post. Marvel was doing their talent search at the con and I sat in for that. I don't think I have a Marvel style, but it was a chance to get feedback. As it turns out there were many people that showed up for it, and since I showed up at the time it was supposed to begin I was placed at the back of the line. A couple hours into waiting I struck up conversation with the guy next to me. Turns out he was there as a writer, but he had previously published work with a small team and had his work (actual printed comics) to show off. He ripped into my work after I asked him to do so, and I recieved good feedback. He even liked two of the pages I drew, aside from the Chun Li penciling (which no one has ever disliked, and I consider one of my best pieces). With that feedback I felt better for next the next con I attend, and left the audition. By that point I was only halfway through the line, so I have have been looked at in another two hours.

Besides, I was about to faint after someone had copies of the inked covers to the more recent Conan covers. He apparently was working with the original artist of them or something, and just to see the full sized pages without the color were breathtaking. One could say I had cold feet after someone had those to submit...

I haved uploaded two images from the con. Most of the photos I took over the weekend were of various artists signing my comics, so those aren't so important to show off.

First photo, probably the best one I had taken for me, is of Kalinara and I standing with Dan Didio. This photo sparked off out long chat with the big guy.

Second photo, is actually three I combined for a wide shot of the convention floor. The place was huge as you can see. Artists and writers and other important people were in the back rows of tables (the ones with the fancy white tablecloths) and all the various vendors and such were in the front. Try to ignore some of the breaks in reality - I'm decent at patching photos together, but I'm no expert. Just a warning - I left the file BIG so you can see all the details.

I'm still sifting through stuff from the con, but on the whole I think it was a resounding success and eagerly look forward to next year. Maybe then I will have become skilled enough to feel like staying through a talent search panel.

Labels: , , ,

4 Comments:

At 6:38 PM, Blogger frank said...

there's always SOMEone better than you isn't there?

 
At 6:41 PM, Blogger Centurion said...

Yup. Always. That's what drives me to improve, and will hopefully drive my replacement.

 
At 11:32 PM, Blogger kalinara said...

I never take good pictures. :-P

 
At 2:01 PM, Blogger Centurion said...

Kal, that's why I always stick you in front of the camera.

Now if only you would keep your eyes open...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home