Saturday, July 29, 2006

Xena #1 - Reviewed

Ever since I saw the ad for the new Xena comic in Battlestar Galactica #0 I have been curious. Knowing it is being published by the same company that currently publishes Red Sonja I worried if it will be taken seriously, or if it will copy the same formula of 'barely dressed warrior woman' with black hair. Finally the first issue was released, and I picked it up. As I have done before I'll review it in two halves, first art then writing.

There are three main covers to #1. I'm not a big fan of many covers per issue, because if they are all equal rarity what's the point? The covers for the first issue are not terrible, but they do seem to lean towards different readers. There is a photo cover, which I think would be for non-comic fans to notice. The other two covers are drawn, and in my opinion one is far better than the other.

The one I don't like so much is the one used in ads for the release, the Billy Tan cover, which is Xena seemingly in combat throwing her chakram. Her face has the high cheek bones that Lucy Lawless has, and with the detailed armor screams the lead Xena. My problem I have is that for all the attention to detail, her chest is huge. Xena's chest does not balloon into and out of her armor. It is distracting and is not what makes her Xena.

The other cover is a very nice collection of characters in the issue, including Gabrielle, Joxer, Zeus, and Ares. Everyone looks like how they should (chest sizes and muscles look correct), and it is balanced. Xena is the biggest on the page, but the placement of the others give them the standing the characters should have - the title is Xena, but she isn't the only character. This is the cover you should look for if you look for the issue.

Enough about the covers, they are there only to draw your eye and try to sell the issue. The real meat is inside, and I can honestly say that the majority of the art inside is good. With the exception of a few panels, it looks like the team that worked inside actually looked at the cast and put forth the effort to translate them to the pages.

There is, however, a two page spread that introduces Xena and Gab that kind of hits you an odd way. It's their grand appearance and they are charging into battle with their torsos arched upwards as if their chests extend a magical shield of deflection. It isn't terrible, but it looks strange. I know it is probably trying to denote their are holding their heads high and they are confident going into battle, but most people I've seen that charge into battle keep their posture low. Approaching low is tactically sound, because you want to protect your critical areas. I could go on, but I digress from the real point. The line art is fairly good, and the characters look like the actual characters. The coloring is also good and really brings the art to life.

The writing is also fairly good. I personally think some of the joking Xena and Gab make in battle falls a little flat, but it doesn't ruin the issue. In the show there were moments of silliness, and it didn't always work in my mind. It's just my opinion, and others will disagree. What it does do is give the new reader and understanding of the kind of relationship Xena and Gab have, and in that respect it works.

The actual plot is paced fairly well in the issue, and felt like a quick read. I won't spoil the story here, but I will say it at least has potential. Many familiar faces are gathering or make appearences in the issue, so the setting is established quickly. There is also a well played twist ending, which will really shift things around.

The biggest drawback to the issue, and for the title in general, is the price tag. At $3.50 the comic is a bit pricey for what it is, and does not make it worth buying each cover unless you are hardcore about the title.

As for the worries about the title? For the first issue things are looking good, and I'll be picking this up for this arch. I also recomend it to anyone who has felt that feeling of 'wanting to look, but are too unsure to touch' that happens with new comics.

Labels: , , , ,

1 Comments:

At 5:52 PM, Blogger by chance said...

I agree 100% with everything you said.

And not only were her breasts maximized by a hundred (lol) but it doesnt even look like her. I am not even trying to be picky (and I can be) but the artwork REALLY bothers me.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home