Sunday, August 27, 2006

Comics: week of 08.23.2006

Justice League of America #1
So far from just this first issue, and taking #0 into account, it really does feel like this is written for a trade. I'm not sure I like this just yet. On one hand it does make for a good story when they are all pulled together, but on the whole it makes the issue feel broken. It isn't that I dislike Meltzer's writing style, it is just that I wished the issue felt a little more enclosed. I should also note that Turner's cover has Wonder Woman looking a little blown up and Superman looks starved. He draws a good Batman, however.

The story continues from #0 with DC's holy trinity discussing who they think is good enough to join them in the new league. I really like Batman speaking up first for Captain Marvel. There are a lot of reasons why, but my favorite is he can potentially take out Superman if need be.

The story seemed to focus the most on Red Tornado. I suppose he was the member selected to be the binding plot device. Afterall, there is only so much potential angst that can be pulled from the other characters.

People have made comments on not liking Platinum's new look. My take is that she's a robot - a shape changing robot. Who ever is behind the art makes her look how they want. Rivets don't fit her very well, however, I do like the long hair. She seems to be the female half of the robot angst plot, to counter balance Red Tornado's quest for humanity.

Speaking of becoming human, I think it's not such a good thing for Red to become human. Still, I bet Deadman will find the outcome of self sacrifice this time around interesting. I like Deadman, but he seemed rather pushy. Wait, was that really him or an illusion by the bad guys? It wasn't very clear...

I have really taken a liking to Green Arrow these last few months. It feels like they are breaking tradition by not seeking him out this early, but I have to admit it was fun to see him pushed off to the side as a babysitter. It sort of sets the tone that this new Justice League will be the league handed down to the next generation, like how the Teen Titans has become.

I'm rather neutral to the story so far. It is focusing on characters I know little about, which will help me learn about the characters. The problem is what I have read isn't snagging my interest very much.

The biggest thing about this issue that I hate is the 'bonus' this issue of the written pages of Meltzer's upcoming book. Words cannot full explain why this does not belong in the comic. I didn't read them, because frankly I was completely turned off when I discovered what they had slipped in.
7/10

Batman #656
I had problems with the issue before this one, because of continuity issues I was unsure of that prevented me from really enjoying that issue. Those have been cleared up now, and I can really get into this issue.

The visual play in this issue is amazing. I loved the Lichtenstein references everywhere, which were made ever greater by ninja man-bats. I think this issue was created for Chris Sims in mind, and anyone else that likes over the top craziness. Very enjoyable.
8/10

Batman and the Mad Monk #1
I vote that Batman and the Monster Men be accepted as canon, and seeing as how this looks like a direct follow up I will likely be viewed the same way. This issue felt like it was mostly a transition issue, following characters from the last arch and laying the groundwork for this new story.

Needless to say it felt very much like classic Batman, and I'm curious as to where this will go. I also really like the art style, which is always a bonus.
8/10

Wonder Woman #2
About time this came out. I was starting to worry a little if it was ever going to continue this year. I'm enjoying the title so far, but Robin looked really off model.

After introducing Nemesis last issue I would have liked a little more of him in the issue as backup, but then again he isn't the one who the comic is named for.
7.5/10

Xena #2
Issue 2 of the title, and the title is still rather good. In fact, the banter between the characters was enjoyable this go around. The flow also feels very much in line with the show. It may also help that Bruce Campbell's character has more focus in this issue.

The art is still rather decent though there are moments where mouths don't quite look right, but that is a minor point. I'm enjoying this title.
7.5/10

Supergirl #9
Oh dear. Do you hear that? That is the sound of respect being broken like a worn out Bruce Wayne over the knee of Bane. Seriously, this single issue has turned Supergirl into a character I don't like very much into a character I absolutely loath. What happened anyway? Did DC finally decide to drive off every reader?

First of all the last plot arch was wrapped up like someone thought it would be ok to just jump to a new story. No ending, just a horrible jump cut with occasional random flashbacks that explain nothing. Oh yeah, and the 'current' story involves Supergirl acting like a whore and stealing Superboy's iconic shirt. No respect for the chief casualty of Infinite Crisis.

There is still potential for Wonder Girl to flip out completely and beat the crap out of Supergirl. It'd be awesome if Power Girl joined in too. I think that would be the best way to end this title. Maybe then Supergirl's bones will heal in a way that will put her back into a more typical body shape.
3/10

Labels: , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home