Tuesday, December 05, 2006

"Heroes"

I've been forcing myself to watch Heroes, and honestly that means one of two things in my book. One is good and the other is bad, obviously.

I want to like this show, I really do, but it just tends to hurt to have to sit through an hour of it. See, Lost and Dr. Who fly by for me in their timeslot. Even Battlestar Galactica can feel like its moving by fast when it isn't all angsty with pointless flashbacks.

This show, however, really drags along.

I blame the writing first. It doesn't matter who thought it was a good idea to put certain characters in, but if they are not written to be interesting the characters fail. They then produce a moment where I start to think getting something to drink before the commercials roll wouldn't be a bad idea. Seriously - I've fixed my dinner while the show was still the show due to a lack of interest in a plot segment.

In my book, there are only three interesting characters out of how many? I honestly don't know how many characters there are. They all tend to blur together on the sidelines.

Hiro, of course, seems to be the only one really advancing the plot. For a long time he also seemed to be the only one actually doing anything worthwhile. He accepts his powers and is trying to use them for good - That, my friends, is what the show is supposed to be about, right?

Then there's Peter, who I am starting to enjoy as of recently. He is also using his power to help others, though he doesn't quite get the chance to be selective over his power. He risked his life, unsure what would happen - and that is also the very definition of being a hero.

As far as I can tell those are the only two actual heroes in the show. That is terrible in my opinion.

Oh yeah, I said three people didn't I? The other is this Syler guy that absorbs other people's powers after killing them. He's got some real potential to be a great villain so long as they don't wholely overpower the guy. I just hate that the girl that was the Indian guy's neighbor was killed because of him, becuase I also liked her despite limited character development.

Anyway, here's me yelling out that the show needs a lot of help in the concept department. They have something that could work really well, but right now it feels like bare minimum.

On a side note: Imagine how awesome the show would be if Frank Miller wrote it? It would probably not make a whole lot of sense and offend a bunch of people, but at least it'd be fun to watch...

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home