Saturday, December 22, 2007

Sweeny Todd

Well, last night was interesting. Didn't realize Sweeny Todd was out, and then suddenly a friend of mine and I shot out to grab tickets ahead of the showing just in case. I've been eagerly awaiting this movie for a good while - since I heard it was coming together I think. The collected talent for the movie just felt right - and it was.

Sweeny Todd is just one of those movies that feels like it justifies its production. I know a lot of people were a bit worried about the end product. Afer all, the musical is one of those pieces that is almost sacred in the musical community and Tim Burton is well known for insisting his vision before all others.

Visually the movie is very Burton. Dark and drab colors draped around character's who bone structure is enhanced by their make-up. Surreal bright colors that make normal scenes feel abnormal, as if to make the abnormally dreary more natural. All this accented by splashes of red. Yes, that wonderfully unsettling crimson shade of red.

Musically the overture is very strong, and the performances are right there where they need to be. Depp can really sing, as well as the rest fo the cast. Nothing else to say except that it works and is quite good.

I'm not going to spoil the story, but the movie ends right where it needs to end. It doesn't drag on with what else happens like many other movies. The audience was upset that it ended where it did, but I think it would have ruined the story if they kept going. There's a great thematic meltdown at the end with the plot twists, and then the credits roll.

I really can't say much about this movie that is negative. It doesn't have the chorus, but in the movie I didn't miss it. The movie flows smoothly along its core plotline.

I think this is one of the best movies out this year that I can remember, and I hope it grabs a few Oscar nods. Highly recomended.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home