Saturday, June 30, 2007

Been thinking about Unbreakable...

So I just finished watching Unbreakable a short while ago. Been a long time since I saw it all the way through, and I still enjoy it. It feels a little long now, but I blame knowing all the twists.

I was thinking...out of all the movies M. Night has made this one deserved more treatment than the others. He really touched on something that has a lot of elements that could be tapped into for a solid series.

I remember reading a long time ago when this movie was going into production and stuff that they were planning on making this a trilogy. It was also right as things were building in hollywood where trilogies were 'in,' so I don't know how likeable the idea would have been to the public.

After watching the movie again, I was thinking about where the series could have gone.

Unbreakable is of course the origin story. Not just the origin of Sentryman or whatever you want to call Bruce Willis' character, but also the origin of his first (and most important) villain.

The second movie, if it were to follow traditional trilogy style, would have had to be about the fall of Sentryman. He would encounter some obstacle he didn't know how to face, even after building his courage as a hero.

I think it's pretty obvious from the first movie and stereotypes the movie plays with that the hero did not grow up reading comics. He has no understanding of comic myth and types, so he would have to have a point of reference to help him undertsand what is going on about him. He would have to keep in contact with Mr. Glass.

Their relationship is not very good after the grand reveal at the end of the movie, which would cause a lot of good tension, and it would be some of the more memorable moments as Willis would make his way to visit him in the insane asylum. I get visions of Batman going to visit Hannibal Lector.

Being about the fall of the hero, there would have to be something in the way to defeat the hero. Batman had Bane, Superman had Doomsday, ect. Since the movie is about real life, and how a hero might be in real life I can only suggest one thing - he is caught and charged as a criminal himself. His face would be everywhere in the media. People would take stands against him for his reckless and unlawful behavior, and others will rise up to defend him for being the hero he was. His wife would find out, their relationship would reach the breaking point, and their son would suffer from their breakage and being singled out in school for who his father is.

In the end he would have to face the end of his career as a hero, in one form or another - the classic comic book 'death' scene. Not literal death, but the metaphorical death.

This of course leads into the Third movie, in which Willis would face different paths he could choose. Ultimately, he would choose to return as a hero. He couldn't return to being the hero he was as it was a secret identity issue, but he could take on the mantle of a hero in some other form. He has his "powers" still, but he would have to win the public trust - this is the path to glory. His rise in fame, and redemption of any percieved injustice he may have produced.

I'm honestly not real sure how the 3rd film would play out, or at least how I would think it could play out. The trilogy never went into planning as far as I know, and I do not think they ever will be made. Still, I am glad M. Night was able to make Unbreakable - it's one of my favorite comic book related movies.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

At 11:35 AM, Blogger Centurion said...

For those of you who do not speak portugese, he found my site through google, and is advertising his site for t-shirts.

I'm glad he found my post about bruce willis and Unbreakable so much to comment about something totally irrelevant.

 
At 8:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow you must be popular.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home