Thursday, December 14, 2006

Comic Reviews

1) Green Lantern Corps #7
This is what Collateral Damage wishes it was. This new female lantern is great, not just because of who she is, but because she is a great foil to Guy starting with the few pages she appears. I don't want to gush about how almost all the secondary characters in this title seem thought out well enough to stay original, so I'll move on.

Yes, Guy gets an earworm that makes him bleed - finally a cover containing a scene that actually happens inside the cover. It isn't a big moment, but it's a decent moment.

So the Guardians have a black ops team? I'm game, but don't expect it to stay covert with Guy joining it.
8.5/10

2) Tales of the Unexpected #3
Being a fan of this miniseries and the main character already probably helped this issue get to where it is on this little list. However, I still think it was a strong issue even if it felt more like a 'middle issue' that connects two stories. The main punishment story wrapped up about as nicely as it could have, proving the Spectre isn't really all that mean.

Also, the Dr. 13 story is freaking awesome.
8/10

3) DCU Infinite Holiday Special #1
Honestly, I expected this comic to be terrible. I'm not a big fan of holiday themed material, but the potential is still great for something entertaining - especially if it isn't supposed to be serious. This comic is not serious, and surprised me by how crazy it turned out to be.

Most of the stories are pretty straight forward, but they have enough fun originality to them they are fun to read. The clencher, for me at least, was the final story. To be exact, the final page of the final story. Wow.
7.5/10

?) Justice League of America #4
It was between this and Robin #157, but I felt as odd as Robin was it had enjoyable art. This new JLA reboot, though it has "Starro", really hasn't impressed me all that much. It reads like a trade, and I'm not to fond of the overuse of two page panel spreads. Something about multiple panels broken by staples annoys me I guess.

Anyway, the writing is acceptible in my opinion, but I guess I'm just not all that interested with the side stories. Maybe I don't care about the characters, but frankly the story feels a bit dull.

For the record, I'm enjoying the Transformers: The Animated Movie miniseries a whole lot more. I know that story, and the mini is changing dialogue and abridging the scenes!
4.5/10

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home