Thursday, December 07, 2006

Finally a return to reviewing comics

Figures my 100th post would be something as mundane as this, but I have a (new) idea as to get myself to review comics more often (as in, weekly). Three for one! Three shortish reviews of those I felt were good this week, and one I felt wasn't so good. Here goes nothing...

1) Justice Society of America #1
Figures this would be listed in any case, but from my pull I liked it the most. I've waited a while for this thing, and I have to say I really enjoyed this first issue. From this point on I think there is a lot of potential goodness, and I just hope things get carried through in that way.

Mr. America felt like a curveball. To me he looks like Gomez Addams, but wow does he not act like him. I like the little mustache he has, but I'm more wondering where his story will go. Of all the side stories that tie in together, his was the most loose.

I got a kick out of the new Red Tornado and think she'll be fun in that innocent fangirlish way. However, I have a feeling something bad will happen to her - that's just how those characters usually end up. I hope differently though.

The new Starman also was a fun bit to read, but I think my affection for the character is for the same reason I like Bizarro. Not exactly a good thing for a hero to be connected with, but time will tell.
9.5/10

2) Detective Comics #826
This issue was a fun quick read. Quick, because it flowed so well off the paper. Fun, because the Joker goes on a killing spree trying to call the cops to report his hit and runs while he is trying to get to a fastfood place for an eggnog shake. I mean, come on. This is the kind of issue I bet Chris Sims would love to read. I know I did.

Besides, Batman doesn't appear till the very end. It is all Robin and Joker action, and the kid defeats the Joker in a classic move...
9/10

3) Manhunter #26
About time Manhunter returned to the shelves. There is a lot of flashing forward and backward to tie it directly into the "last" issue, but it does work in the end. This is a pretty good setup to what I can pretty well imagine will be only a miniseries of sorts, to check how the sales go for the title. Here's hoping that this issue, tied in with the graphic novel collection of issues 1-5, will make DC think about keeping this thing being printed.

I was really close to sticking Nightwing #127 in this spot, but I felt Manhunter had the small advantage due to my excitement of having it available again. Nightwing was really good this issue around, but the last few issues have all been quality (finally), so there wasn't so much new there. Manhunter had plot and action, and development of the whole story, and besides - her title technically shouldn't be as popular as it is making it all the more great of a comic to be published.
8/10

?) 52 Week Thirty-One
It may just be me, but I think the edge is slowly becoming dull with 52. Maybe they just are not following the arches I like in this issue, but for the first time I found it a little hard to read this issue. I don't really know much about the Captain Comet arch, but his whole story in this issue felt like it was ripped right out of Chronicles of Riddick. I'm sorry, but as one of the few people that enjoyed that movie I have to say this: to rip of that movie in a title as "important" as this comic is degrading to the title.
3/10

Labels: , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home