Friday, March 03, 2006

Weekly Comic Run

This week has been crazy. Was sick for a couple of days, and the good days were heavy with work (almost every day we were past production goals - very good thing). I did make it to the comic shop for the weekly pull, and am thinking of going about reviewing the comics a bit differently...

Best of the Week - Adventure of Superman #649
The conclusion to the Superman/Superman tie in to Infinite Crisis was really impressive, more so than Infinite Crisis #5 in many ways. It had far more of an epic feel than anything else that came out this week.

Second Best - Green Lantern Corps: Recharge #5
Everyone with a ring standing together to blast a sun as feedback to destroy the hive? I think that's pretty awe inspriring - and that is what the Green Lanterns are about, am I not right? With all that has happened in this miniseries, I have high hopes for the ongoing Corps series.

Surprisingly good - Batman: Secrets #1
I'm a fan of The Maxx, and this has a very similar vibe. The art is gritty and the style is surreal, and it works in my mind. The plot is a bit all over the place, but based on what I know of The Maxx it will wrap up in the end very well.

Quick reviews of the rest of the pull...

Infinite Crisis #5
Still good, but seeing as how there wasn't as much action it felt a bit slow. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy plot advancement, but this issue is more than likely the calm before the story. Loved the Red Son glimpse and the return of Htrae.

Batman Annual #25
I understand what they were trying to explain as the return of Jason Todd, but it still feels very forced to me. I really liked the extreme circumstances Jason had to go through, especially the zombie style they used. It really drove home the resurection he went through and the unnaturalness of it.

Detective Comics #817
One year later already? Well, it was basically a giant teaser for the Batman side of the DCU for the events that will happen during 52. Felt like nothing really happened, a lot of past tense references for the future. Also, Robin has a new outfit and I'm not sure I like it. Still there are really interesting events to look forward to.


I also picked up Spawn #153 to check out the comic. Really impressed with the art, but I think that's what one of the main draws of the comic. I have no idea what's going on, or who half the characters are, but I am really intrigued as to what is happening. Looking into collected volumes of previous issues, but my comic fund is getting stretched thin as it is.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home