Sunday, February 19, 2006

More on Batgirl

I seem to stuck on a tangent of Batgirl. Yes, I like her character a lot becuase she is so dynamic, and she has faults that really appeal to me.. So what am I going to ramble on about today? I just read a handful of back issues of Batgirl, and something stood out.

Cassandra can't enjoy a vacation, despite what Barbara treats her to. The male audience was treated as well, as Barbara forces her to wear a bikini. It's funny, but it matches her well style wise. Also, I don't know if it was intentional, but the color they chose to use for skin while out in the sun in the bathing suit made her look rather pale - and I liked that, but that's just my opinion.

It also made for some good moments of her looking evil thanks to her dislike of the situations (though part of that was Superboy, and his 'posturing' around her.). I really liked the shadows under her eyes when she handed the beachball over, as well as other similar moments.

Also was nice touch of her ripping her dress to provide a disguise. It stayed true to her mentality of operating firstly by resourcefulness. Though the dress looked good on her, and was no doubt expensive, she was more interested in keeping her fighting-persona a secret.

Didn't care too much for Superboy's part in the short plot arch. I'm used to the more sobered version in the comics now, and he just didn't serve a large purpose other than to spin off the short-lived romantic interest for Cassandra.

So in the end the image of Cassandra in the twopiece has been burned into my brain. If it weren't for my modesty I would have said it was sexy, but that's not my style. I liked that they didn't exploit her in her little outfit, and the chance to see her on vacation.

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

At 8:16 AM, Blogger CalvinPitt said...

Well I just have to ask, what issues were those? I've only been reading Batgirl since #58, so I'm guessing it's from before then.

And Superboy? In a romantic-type thing with Cassandra? Yikes. While I didn't have a problem with 'joking, surfer-boy, chick-chasing' Superboy, he just seems like the wrong kind of person for Cassandra.

I must say I'm intrigued though. Time to go hunting for back issues! Oh I hope my wallet can take it.

 
At 3:39 PM, Blogger Centurion said...

Batgirl 39 and 40 are the vacation issues. 41 she hitches a ride on a train to visit Superboy out on the farm and they go nutty on a date (confusing issue).

 

Post a Comment

<< Home