Friday, January 20, 2006

Weekly Comic Review: DC edition

Yesterday seemed to...vanish...and so here I am talking and commenting a day later than I planned.

I'll get the big ones out of the way first...

Infinite Crisis #4
Howleeeee Crap. Way to much happening to even beging to summerize it, so I'll only touch on a few points. I like that the Specter got "reassined" to the gunned down cop from Gotham Central, it's fitting and will hopefully lead into a very nice revenge arch.

The massive pile-on with Superboy Prime was a blast to see, and I loved how childish he was - again, the way it came off was very fitting. I'm a fan of watching characters fall from grace, so to say, so seeing him destroy what he stood for really appealed to me. It was also a nice was to get rid of a lot of little used characters. The bit with Sandy and Terra was a nice touch, though something like what they did should have been a few more panels. Still, the bits with all the Flashes going full speed was a more important (and more awe-inspiring, I'll admit). I doubt Superboy is gone for good, but wow was that an impressive exit

The splitting of the Earths was handled well. I liked the way they used the blue outline as the timeline split between the two Earths. The split also gave a good wrap to the issue, and gives me an idea on how this major arch will progress...

Green Lantern #7
I don't think this is One Year Later, but I may be wrong - the story really picked up like that though. I felt like I jumped into the middle of a story arch, but I have read previous issues of this run. I have read where the background of the story occurs, partly, so I had an idea of what was happening. Average read, and I like the twist at the end, which will be interesting how Lantern and Arrow recover for the next issue.

Birds of Prey #90
All I can really say about this issue is that it was "cute" - which can be good or bad, depending. I usually use the word cute is a bad descriptive, becuase...well...I'm a guy...I have to have some stereotypes apply to me. In this issue's case, it's used in a good way. Being more a fan of Batman, I was a little ticked off at Oracle standing up to him, even if she was right. I would have been just as happy with the outcome if Oracle would have simply provided a random, yet rational, excuse to send Batman back on his way - it's not like Batman has lied to his sidekicks to distract them when he knew what was really happening and in control...

Despite that, watching Deathstroke get a temporary defeat/victory was fun. Also, Batman getting humbled by Huntress's undercover work was just as fun. The sneak kiss on Batman was also a little cheezy, but the comments afterwards were priceless.

Gotham Knights #73
Not a whole lot happened in this issue, in fact Joker and Hush didn't even come in contact with each other. However, I really enjoyed the Joker explaining what he had been up to. Usually when the Joker is involved, the story is a fun ride, and this issue is no different. I'm curious if the Penguin will get word of what the Joker's been up to, and how he'll react - or, that may be all part of the joke knowing Joker. I love his chaos theory.

Nightwing #116
Jeez, the world is just falling apart for Dick. Excellent tie-in with Infinite Crisis #4. Like Gotham Knights, not a whole lot seemed to happen. It was generally Nightwing working his way through the aftermath of his city, surveying the destruction, and doing what little he can in the face of such odds - it really speaks for his character.

All-Star Superman #2
There is almost nothing I can say in the negative about this title so far, except that each issue is too freaking short. If only All-Star Batman & Robin had someone other than Frank Miller writing it. I'm really liking this title. I also liked the giant Joker penny, mirroring the giant penny Batman has down in the Batcave (though I don't remember seeing it recently, maybe it's the same coin?).

That's it for what I've read that's come out this week. I have Batgirl #73, but haven't read it yet on account that I have a lot of stuff going on. I'll get around to it this weekend, as well as posting on other things.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home