Thursday, March 09, 2006

Comic Run 3-8

Not much came out this week that I have pulled, and it wasn't that impressive of a draw either.

Best of this Week - Transformers: Infiltration #3
Like I said, not much came out and surprisingly this was the best issue that came out in my opinion. That isn't saying it is bad - quite the contrary. I feel the story is really starting to shape itself up to a decent story. There is a lot happening behind the scenes apparently, and we are only now getting a glimpse of what potentially is happening. The scale of the battle is slowly having the curtains drawn back, and the personal stakes for the characters are taking form.

I'm still turned off at how they are trying to create their own continuity, but I feel like it is finally taking shape. The new designs are nice (mainly just minor updates to modern vehicles and such). I really like Bubblebee's new look, mainly becuase it looks like he actually transformed from a VW bug. I also like the style of the Decepticons, becuase now they actually feel like their name has substance. They are really pulling strings behind the scenes and are using hit-and-run tactics to keep themselves out of wide view of the world - deception and stealth just as their name suggests.
4/5

Second Best of the Week - Batman and the Monster men #5
Really good issue, but the series has been good nonstop. I really like how this oozes the old-school Batman feel and wish there was more Batman like this. The plot continues to chug along and full speed complete with some of the last minute twists. I also really liked the moment with the unveiling of the Batmobile and the dialogue between Bruce and Alfred over its look.
4/5

Surprise of the Week - Teen Titans #33
This title has been fairly good since it began, and had really good moments like the Titans Tomorrow arch, which is mentioned in this issue. However, I belive this issue would be one where many would cry out that the series has 'jumped the shark'. This issue's entire plot could have easily been condensed without the internal monologues copied from Superman/Batman in one of the issues of Infinite Crisis, or began the arch at the end of issue 5 and continued it in 6 like they are doing with other sub plots.

I'm sure there are a number of fangirls out there in the wired that enjoyed seeing Superboy stripping Nightwing out of his old suit after he was blasted back into icy waters, but I'm no fangirl. I will, however, give it points for lots of exploding Earths in the sky. It is indeed an awesome site as a backdrop, but doesn't make up for the totally wasted Teen Titans issue.
1/5

Also my reorder for Batgirl #73 came in finally. As sad as I am to see the conclusion to one of my more favorite characters and titles, I have to admit it was one very good issue. I really hope there is a good future for Cassandra in the DCU, but her smirk in the aftermath makes me seriously worry.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

3 Comments:

At 6:06 PM, Blogger Diamondrock said...

That smirk bothered me as well... I hope she's still around...

 
At 6:36 PM, Blogger CalvinPitt said...

I'm telling you, Cassandra Cain needs to join the Secret Six. It would be freaking awesome.

The smirk was a little troubling. I think it was Cassandra understanding what her parents intended of her.

Now what that was exactly, and whether she'll go along with it, I can't say.

 
At 3:42 PM, Blogger Centurion said...

I think the best case senario would be in fact her joining the secret six, and becoming a wild card as far as loyalties go.

I could see her becoming something similar to Catman. He was somewhat of a reformed heroic villain, and she is now a fallen hero. She no doubt still remembers why Batman doesn't kill, and hopefully will still at least run close to that philosohpy.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home